Patek Philippe History
On 1st May, 1839 two Polish immigrants - a businessman by the name of Antoni Patek and watchmaker Franciszek Czapek - joined forces to found Patek, Czapek & Cie in Geneva.
In 1844, Mr. Patek met the French watchmaker, Mr. Adrien Philippe in Paris. At that meeting, Mr. Philippe presented his pioneering stem winding and setting system by the crown. In 1845, when Czapek decided to leave the company and continue his activity on his own, the company name changed to Patek & Cie.
Then in 1851, when Mr. Philippe became officially associated with the company, it was rebaptised Patek Philippe & Cie. The name changed again in 1901 to Ancienne Manufacture d’Horlogerie Patek Philippe & Cie, S.A.. And in 1932, the company was purchased by Charles and Jean Stern, two brothers and owners of a fine dial manufacturer in Geneva.
Since then, Patek Philippe S.A. has remained a family owned firm.
In 2009, the company presidency was officially transmitted from the 3rd to the 4th generation and Mr. Thierry Stern became President while his father, Mr. Philippe Stern was made Honorary President.